Pirates of the Caribbean
Celebrates 50 Years!
The Pirates of the Caribbean attraction celebrated its 50th anniversary at Disneyland this March. The attractions can be seen at five Disney theme parks around the world. These attractions have thrilled hundreds of millions of guests from around the world during the life of its existence. The first Pirates of the Caribbean attraction debuted at Disneyland Park in California in 1967 and has been considered one of the pinnacles of theme park experiences ever since. Here are some fun facts and trivia associated with the popular attraction.
- Pirates of the Caribbean was the last Disneyland attraction to be personally supervised by Walt Disney himself.
- Theme park guests ride through the attraction for approximately 15 minutes, making it one of the longest rides at Disneyland Resort.
- Over 400 million guests have ridden Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland Park since it opened in 1967.
- The Aztec pirate chest used in the film “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” appears in the Treasure Room as the last thing guests see in that scene.
- Guests can see Captain Jack Sparrow at three different locations during their journey.
- Nearly 400,000 pieces of gold coins and assorted items were added to the attraction during the refurbishment in 2006 along with new characters from the film being added.